The Business and Planning Act 2020 introduced a new, temporary application process for obtaining Pavement Licences to permit removeable furniture to be placed on the highway. This process provides a streamlined and cheaper route for businesses such as cafes, restaurants and bars to secure a licence to place furniture on the highway. This will provide much needed income for businesses and protect as many hospitality jobs as possible, particularly during times of increasing living costs.  This legislation is in effect until 30 September 2023, however this may be extended.

A business which uses (or proposes to use) premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption (on or off the premises) can apply for a licence. Businesses that are eligible include: public houses, cafes, bars, restaurants, snack bars, coffee shops, and ice cream parlours including where such uses form an ancillary aspect of another use, for example supermarkets, or entertainment venues which sell food and drink.

Applications for Tables and Chairs Permits can continue to be made under section 115E of the Highways Act 1980; the explanatory note below details the differences between the two types of permission. 

Please note that a Pavement Licence or Tables and Chairs Permit only allow the citing of furniture and cannot be used alone to grant permission for an outdoor bar or similar for the sale of alcohol, or supply of hot food/drink between 11pm and 5am. (This would require a Premises Licencevariation of Premises Licence  or Temporary Event Notice.)

Differences between Pavement Licence and Tables and Chairs Permit 

Further documents on Pavement Licences

Further documents on Table and Chairs Permits