Generally, gambling is unlawful in Great Britain (other than the National Lottery and spread betting) unless permitted by one or more of the authorisations from the Gambling Act 2005.
If any commercial gambling activities or facilities are undertaken or provided, one or more of the following may be required:
- an operator licence for provision of facilities for gambling and/or the manufacture, installation, repair or adaptation of gaming machines or gambling software
- a personal licence for specified staff of those holding an operator licence and/or performing any function which may influence the outcome of gambling, or relating to receipt or payment of money in connection with gambling
- a premises licence for fixed premises rather than online (remotely) where gambling takes place
- a permit when providing various types of gaming machines.
Operator and personal licenses are issued by the Gambling Commission whilst the council issues premises licences and permits.
Gambling Act 2005
The Act sets out two categories of organisations and individuals that may feature in applications for and reviews of premises licences, responsible authorities and interested parties. Interested parties are as described in the Gambling Act Statement of Principles.
Responsible authorities are public bodies that must be notified of applications and that are entitled to make representations to the licensing authority in relation to applications for, and in relation to, premises licences.
- Responsible Authorities Gambling Act 2005 (pdf 87 kb)
Apply or amend a premises licence - application forms
- New premises licence (word 880 kb)
- Provisional statement (word 877 kb)
- Application to vary a premises licence (906 kb)
- Application to transfer premises licence (word 891 kb)
- Re-instatement of premises licence following lapse (word 887 kb)
Apply or amend a permit - application forms
- Apply for or renew a club gaming or club machine permit (word 129 kb)
- Apply, renew or change of name of an unlicensed family entertainment centre gaming machine permit (word 848 kb)
- Notify, apply, vary or transfer a licensed premises gaming machine permit (word 851 kb)
Apply, renew or supply returns for a small society (non-commercial) lottery licence - application forms
- Apply for a small society lottery (word 833 kb)
- Renew a small society lottery (word 136 kb)
- Returns form for small society lottery (word 864 kb)