Council Tax

Council tax is your contribution to the many services we provide, such as collecting rubbish and providing housing.


Watch our video that explains where your Council Tax goes


Watch our video that explains where your Council Tax goes 


As well as collecting council tax for the services we provide, we also collect Council Tax on behalf of other local authorities. 

The majority of your council tax goes to Hampshire County Council and a proportion of your council tax also goes to the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Authority and the Police and Crime Commissioner.

There are a number of ways to pay your council tax, including direct debit, online payments and by post.

If for any reason you are unable to pay your council tax, please let us know as soon as possible.

Council tax energy rebate

As part of the government’s initiative to help households with rising energy costs, a £150 utility energy rebate was announced for certain households - the deadline for this has now passed.

Households that were not eligible to receive the £150 Energy Rebate can now apply for the council’s discretionary scheme.

Manage your council tax online

You can manage your council tax online by creating a portal account. The portal gives you full access to your account where you can notify us of changes and apply for discounts and exemptions. 

You can also let us know if you are moving house.

Tell us you're moving

If you are moving home within Havant, leaving or moving into Havant, you can tell us online and we will amend your council tax bill.

Valuation band of your property

The amount you pay depends on the valuation band of your property. Each home is in one of eight valuation bands, according to how much it was worth on 1 April 1991. Your council tax bill shows the band your home is in.

  • Band A - Up to £40,000
  • Band B - Over £40,000 up to £52,000
  • Band C - Over £52,000 up to £68,000
  • Band D - Over £68,000 up to £88,000
  • Band E - Over £88,000 up to £120,000
  • Band F - Over £120,000 up to £160,000
  • Band G - Over £160,000 up to £320,000
  • Band H - Over £320,000

If you think your valuation is wrong you can challenge your band. You must continue to pay your council tax until the result of the appeal is decided.

Council tax discounts and exemptions

Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a discount on your council tax bill. The most common discount is for single occupancy where you will receive a 25% discount on your bill. 

You might also be entitled to council tax support. Council tax support is a means tested benefit (income and savings are taken into consideration) which will help you to pay your council tax. 

There are also discounts available for disabled residents, unoccupied and unfurnished properties and full time students and apprentices.

Some properties are exempt from paying council tax. These include properties lived in only by students or people with severe mental impairment and, in some cases, empty properties.

Freeman on the Land and challenges to the legality of council tax

The Freeman on the Land movement and similar groups commonly believe that people are only bound by the contracts and laws they have consented to. However, contract law and alleged rights under common law are not the same as legislation relating to the administration and collection of council tax.

Need some support?

Connect to Support Hampshire has links to organisations that can help with a wide range of money-related issues including debt, emergency food and keeping our home warm.

Mental Wellbeing Hampshire is a partnership of organisations working to support good mental health and wellbeing in our communities.