Council tax

Coronavirus update

During the coronavirus outbreak, residents have enquired about delaying their council tax payments.

Please note, central government provides council tax support to those on a low income and with savings less than £16,000. 

This will be additionally supplemented by up to a maximum of £150 for the coming year as a result of coronavirus. 

Find out how to apply for council tax support.

At this time, Havant Borough Council will not be deferring council tax for all residents.

For those most at need, we are agreeing on a case-by-case basis on changes to their council tax payments.

Just 12 per cent of your total council tax bill is received by Havant Borough Council. The remainder supports key infrastructure such as:

  • Hampshire County Council
  • Hampshire Adult Social Care
  • The Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire
  • Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service

The council does not have the necessary cash-flow to delay council tax payments from all residents.

About your council tax

Council tax is your contribution to the many services we provide, such as collecting rubbish and providing housing.

As well as collecting council tax for the services we provide, we also collect Council Tax on behalf of other local authorities. 

The majority of your council tax goes to Hampshire County Council and a proportion of your council tax also goes to the Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and the Police and Crime Commissioner.

There are a number of ways to pay your council tax, including direct debit, online payments, by post or in person at our offices.

Manage your council tax online

You can manage your council tax online by creating a portal account. The portal gives you full access to your account where you can notify us of changes and apply for discounts and exemptions. 

You can also let us know if you are moving house.

Tell us you're moving

If you are moving home within Havant, leaving or moving into Havant, you can tell us online and we will amend your council tax bill.

Valuation band of your property

The amount you pay depends on the valuation band of your property. Each home is in one of eight valuation bands, according to how much it was worth on 1 April 1991. Your council tax bill shows the band your home is in.

  • Band A - Up to £40,000
  • Band B - Over £40,000 up to £52,000
  • Band C - Over £52,000 up to £68,000
  • Band D - Over £68,000 up to £88,000
  • Band E - Over £88,000 up to £120,000
  • Band F - Over £120,000 up to £160,000
  • Band G - Over £160,000 up to £320,000
  • Band H - Over £320,000

If you think your valuation is wrong you can challenge your band. You must continue to pay your council tax until the result of the appeal is decided.

Council tax discounts and exemptions

Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a discount on your council tax bill. The most common discount is for single occupancy where you will receive a 25% discount on your bill. There are also discounts available for disabled residents, unoccupied and unfurnished properties and full time students/apprentices.

Some properties are exempt from paying council tax. These include properties lived in only by students or people with severe mental impairment and, in some cases, empty properties.