Bin collections

Bin collections update - 29 July 2021

Some residents are still experiencing delays with collections of rubbish, recycling and garden waste bins:

  • Rubbish collections - Waterlooville - Alexandra Close, Boyle Crescent, Beresford Close, Cowan Road, Cunningham road, Hamble Lane, Kelly road, Magnolia terrace, Marlborough Close, Montgomery Walk, Mountbatten Drive, The Dale, The Brow, Vian Road, Waterside Gardens, Wait End road - to be collected Friday 30 July
  • Garden waste collections - borough wide - currently running up to five working days behind schedule - crews have been and will continue to catch-up with this service by working on Saturdays
  • Bulk glass (bottle banks) – collection service currently delayed - please do not leave your bottles at collection sites if you find they are full when you arrive, as this can be hazardous to members of the public and crews. Norse South East (NSE) is working to find a resolution to this issue.

You only need to report a missed bin (rubbish, recycling or garden waste) if you notice that your neighbour's bin has been collected, but yours hasn't.

NSE is also addressing challenges surrounding staff shortages – impacted by a national shortage of qualified drivers – recruiting more drivers and training others so that they have back-ups in place to cover shifts. 

Whilst recruitment is underway, the decision to prioritise the collection of household rubbish, recycling and garden waste was made and as a result of this, some collections to glass recycling sites were not collected as frequently as we would have liked. 

We are continuing to closely monitor the situation.

Havant Borough Council operates an alternate weekly kerbside recycling and waste collection service from wheeled bins. This means that rubbish is collected one week and recycling the next.

You can find your bin collection day by checking your online calendar. Please enter your postcode and your calendar will be displayed under 'waste and recycling'.

We also operate a fortnightly garden waste collection service.

Bin wasn’t collected?

If your bin has been missed, please report this to us by completing our contact us form.

Missed bins must be reported by 4pm on the next working day after your scheduled collection.

If you do not report a missed collection to us within this timeframe, you will have to wait until your next scheduled collection.

Please note, if your bin has been tagged for reasons such as being too heavy or contaminated we will not return. Also, if your bin is not placed on the boundary of your property, it will not be collected and we will not return.

What to do with your bin?

On your collection day, you should place your wheeled bin at the boundary of your property adjacent to the road.

Place your bin out at the edge of your property by 7am on your collection day.

Please ensure your bin lid is closed flat, for your collection.

Excess rubbish

Any excess rubbish left alongside the bin or on top will not be collected and will have to wait until the next scheduled rubbish collection.

If you have a larger family living permanently at the property, then you may be eligible for an additional bin.

Excess recycling

We will collect excess recycling which can be left in clear plastic sacks or a cardboard box next to your bin. Please ensure excess recycling is clean and dry.

Assisted collections

For those of you who are unable to take the bin to the edge of your property you can request an assisted collection.

This is where the rubbish and recycling crews will collect wheeled bins from an agreed location. 

To organise assisted collections, please use our contact us form.

Who collects your bins?

Our environmental services (waste, recycling, street cleaning, public conveniences and grounds maintenance) are delivered by Norse South East.

Where does my waste go?

Most of the non-recyclable waste collected from homes in Hampshire is taken to one of three Energy Recovery Facilities located in Marchwood, Chineham and Portsmouth. Find out more about where your waste goes on the Hampshire County Council website.