What is fly-tipping?

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste. It is a crime that:

  • Damages the environment
  • Presents a public health risk
  • Is a financial burden to the state

Fly-tipping can vary in scale and type, examples include:

  • An individual dumping garden waste in a lay-by
  • Furniture or electrical equipment being dumped outside a home (i.e. a sofa or television)
  • Inappropriate waste placed in or next to incorrect bins (i.e. household waste left next to a bottle bank)
  • Individuals depositing items outside of Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs)
  • Illegal traders receiving payment for disposal and subsequently dumping waste
  • Commercial waste being disposed incorrectly (i.e. outside of licensed arrangements)
  • Large-scale dumping of industrial waste

You are responsible…

Be aware that you are personally responsible for the disposal of your waste. If your waste is found dumped illegally you could be fined up to £400 by Havant Borough Council. If convicted at court, the maximum fine is £50,000.

To dispose of items not collected by your household refuse and recycling collections, the following options are available:

  • Paying for Havant Borough Council’s bulky waste collection service. Prices vary according to the nature of the collection. To discuss in further detail, contact Customer Services on 023 9244 6010.
  • Personally delivering waste to Hampshire County Council’s waste recycling centres – some items may be charged for. 
  • Paying for an approved licensed waste carrier and signing a waste transfer note handing over responsibility to them.

How do I know a waste carrier is legitimate?

It is most important to ensure your waste is disposed of correctly. By law, you are personally responsible for ensuring the safe and correct disposal of your unwanted items, even if you have paid someone else to do it. If your waste is found dumped illegally you could be fined.

An approved waste carrier will be licensed, and will provide paperwork signing over the responsibility for the waste from you to their service. The Environment Agency provides an online register of waste carriers.

Any approved waste carrier will have a licence available for your perusal.

How do I report fly-tipping?

To report a fly-tip, please complete our online contact us form or call 023 9244 6010.

For reporting hazardous waste and large-scale illegal dumping, contact Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111.