Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new simpler, single monthly payment for people in or out of work.

It joins together some of the benefits and tax credits that you might of been getting previously such as:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income support
  • Child Tax credit
  • Working Tax credit
  • Housing benefit

Universal Credit does not include help to pay your Council Tax, you will still need to claim Council Tax support.

Apply for Universal Credit

  1. Get online

You will be expected to make your claim online at www.gov.uk/universal-credit.

  1. Who will be affected?

Single jobseekers in the Havant Borough Council Area may be required to claim Universal Credit if you are:

  • Making a new claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Of working age
  • Have no children or other dependants
  • Have no disability or a long term illness

Jobcentre staff will tell you whether or not you should apply for Universal Credit.

There is more information on www.gov.uk/universal-credit so you can check to see if you need to claim Universal Credit.

  1. How to claim Universal Credit

You will be expected to make your Universal Credit application online at www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit (link is external). If you need support with your claim contact the Jobcentre or the Universal Credit helpline. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, call 0345 6000 723.

You cannot backdate your Universal Credit claim so it is important that you make your claim as soon as possible.

There are a number of public access computers available to use. If you are not able to use a computer the Jobcentre will direct you to the support that is available.

Please allow enough time to complete your application. It may take 40 minutes to an hour. Once you start the application you cannot save it part way through so you need to make sure that you have all the information you need when you start.

To make a claim you will need:

  • Your National Insurance number
  • Details of the bank account that you want your Universal Credit paid into
  • Your tenancy agreement (if you have one)
  • Details of your savings or other money you have
  • Details of any wages or other benefits you are receiving
  1. Manage your money

Universal Credit will be a single, monthly payment paid into an account you choose. You can find out more information about bank account options.

Your Universal Credit payment provides a month’s support and may include an amount for your housing costs. You will be responsible for paying rent to your landlord yourself.

If you have been used to managing your money weekly or fortnightly, or having your rent paid directly to your landlord, you may need to find new ways to manage your money.