People on low incomes can claim benefits to help them pay Council Tax or rent.

The two main types of benefit you can receive are Council Tax support and Housing Benefit.

Council Tax support

If you are on a low income you may be eligible for Council Tax support to help pay your council tax bill. This is a means tested benefit and the council will look at your income and savings before deciding whether you qualify. Any support awarded will be deducted from your Council Tax bill.

Our online benefits calculator will help you decide whether you may be eligible for this support. You can’t claim support for second homes. You can also find details of how to claim, including information about the evidence you will need to produce to support your claim.

You should contact us straightaway if you think you are eligible for Council Tax support as it is not always possible to backdate payments. You should also let us know immediately, if your circumstances change, as any overpayment must be paid back to the council.

The easiest way to apply for Council Tax support is to complete our online claim form.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is for people on low income to help them pay their rent. It is a means tested benefit, which means that your income and savings are taken into consideration when an application is considered.

It is usually paid straight into your bank account or by cheque.

The easiest way to apply for housing benefit is to complete our online claim form. You can use the online benefits calculator to find out whether you are likely to be eligible.

Non dependants

Your benefit may be reduced if you have somebody else living with you over the age of 18 other than your partner, such as a grown up son or daughter.

There may be a deduction from your benefit dependent upon their gross income or circumstances. Non-dependants do not include boarders or lodgers.