Council Tax support

Customers who recieve Council Tax support can view details of their entitlement by registering for a portal account.

There are two different types of support available for Council Tax payers.

Council Tax support - This is an amount of benefit that is applied to your Council Tax liability that will reduce the amount that you owe. How much benefit applied is based upon your circumstances within your household.

Second Adult Rebate - Second Adult Rebate is the same as Council Tax support, but is based upon the earnings of another adult within your property.

If you qualify for both of these you will be granted the benefit that reduces your Council Tax bill the most.

Council Tax support

You can claim Council Tax support if you are the person (or one of the persons) who is responsible for paying the Council Tax at the property you live in and:

  • You have a low income. This includes people who are in work or are self-employed.
  • You are receiving a Welfare Benefit.

However, as from the 1 April 2013, the regulations surrounding entitlements to Council Tax support changed for people receiving Welfare Benefits.

You will be expected to pay 8.5% of your yearly Council Tax liability if you receive:

  • Job Seekers Allowance.
  • Income Support.

Your yearly liability will be fully covered by Council Tax support if you receive:

  • Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Disability Living Allowance.
  • Carer's Allowance.
  • The Guarantee element of Pension Credit.

You cannot get Council Tax support if:

  • You are not directly liable to pay the Council Tax.
  • You (or your partner) have capital/savings of over £16,000 unless this includes one or more of the special payments made or you are in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee.
  • Most full-time students who live alone cannot claim because their home will be exempt from Council Tax. But you maybe able to claim if your partner is a full-time student and you are not.
  • Your award is calculated by comparing your household and personal circumstances with your income and savings/capital. We also have to take into account any other adults who live with you. If you wish to make a claim please refer to the section on Applying for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support.

Council Tax support scheme

This document details how the scheme will operate for both pension credit age and working age applicants and in accordance with Section 13A of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 specifies the classes of person who are to be entitled to a reduction under the scheme.

How to apply for Council Tax support

The easiest way to apply for Council Tax support is to complete our online claim form.