Below is information on local support for Ukrainian guests and their hosts. We’ve broken it down into relevant categories.
You can translate this page by selecting the orange icon at the top-right of this page.
Meeting other Ukrainians
Ukraine Connections – a chance to meet others for a friendly chat and a drink and find out about the library service
- Alton Library. Every Saturday 1-3pm
- Bordon Library. 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month 11am-12.30pm.
- Havant Library. Every Saturday 2-4pm.
- Hayling Island Library. Last Friday of every month, 1-3pm.
- Liphook Library. 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month 11am-12.30pm.
- Waterlooville Library. Every Saturday 2-4pm.
Sharps Copse Children Centre (organised by Motiv8 and HCC) - Meet other Ukrainian people and hosts, find out local information on jobs schools and local groups. 10am-12noon on 26 July, 30 August and 27 September.
Hart Plain Church offers a space where Ukrainian refugees settling in the Waterlooville area can meet.
Mental health support
- Havant & East Hants Mind - Mental health support
- START - Trauma counselling from qualified counsellors
We have also collated a range of more general mental health support available across the borough.
- Citizens Advice East Hampshire - Confidential, independent, impartial advice
- Citizens Advice Havant - Merdian Centre, Monday-Friday between 10am-2pm. Outreach services are available in Waterlooville Library and Hayling Island Community Centre.
- Hampshire Safeguarding Adults Board - Anti-trafficking information and website aimed at keeping Ukrainian refugees safe
- Employment Plus, Salvation Army Hall, Petersfield - Wednesday 9.30am to 11.30am - for anyone looking for employment advice.
- Y Aspire, Waterlooville - Mentoring for 16+ people looking to get back into education or work. Building confidence, skills, reducing barriers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
English language lessons
- City of Portsmouth College, Highbury Campus - Adult beginner English classes, full and part time
- ESOL - Online language classes, resources and interpreting support. Courses are available at Havant and South Downs College.
- Rural Refugee Network - English lessons, one to one education and employment support, grants for education and work.
- Ukraine-Alton Mutual Aid, Alton Community Centre - English lessons, craft classes, transport sharing and free day passes.
Exercise and fitness
- Clanfield Memorial Hall - Free places for refugees on exercise classes.
- Everyone Active (Alton, Petersfield, Whitehill & Bordon) - 12-months free leisure centre membership for Ukrainian refugees.
- Horizon Leisure Trust (Havant, Waterlooville) - Support and vouchers for Ukrainian families to use leisure centres for swimming/badminton etc.
- A Space to Make at Making Space - Free weekly creative sessions for craft projects. Every Wednesday, 10am-12noon.
- Kings Arms, Petersfield - Youth activities for 11–18 year olds
- Open Door, Salvation Army - Thursday and Friday mornings 9.30-11.30am, meet up for coffee, and cake.
- Refresh, St Peters Church - Thursday morning 10am to 12pm, free coffee and cake.
- The Spring Arts and Heritage Centre - Free tickets to events at The Spring for Ukrainian, Afghan and Syrian refugees – on events programmed up until the end of August 2022. To book your free tickets, please call the box office on 023 9247 2700 or visit in person.
- Winton House, 1-2.30pm every Monday - Coffee and conversation