Due to coronavirus restrictions, we are unfortunately unable to offer face to face appointments or on-site visits at this time.
General information on planning and home improvements is available on the Planning Portal Interactive House.
Pre-application advice service
We have a chargeable pre-application advice service which is designed to provide consistent, quality advice on proposed developments.
- Pre-application service fee schedule 2021-22 (pdf 306 kb)
Our pre-application guidance notes give further information on the service, what the fees are and when you can expect a response.
- Pre-application advice guidance note 2021-22 (pdf 207 kb)
No advice will be available over the telephone.
Why should I get pre-application advice?
If you are a homeowner or resident, our advice service will help you to:
- Find out if your proposal needs permission, including a property check against permitted development rights
- Find out if we recommend any changes to your proposal before applying for permission
If you are an agent or developer, our advice service will help you to:
- Find out relevant material planning considerations
- Receive guidance on policies and financial contributions
- Identify any issues that needs addressing and assess the information you need to provide with your application
Where a pre-application requires highways, drainage or landscaping guidance, we offer additional chargeable advice from our in-house planning consultees within the Civil Engineering and Landscape Team.
How do I obtain pre-application advice?
- Use the online pre-application enquiry form for householder or non-householder enquiries
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Planning Services at the Plaza. Payment should be submitted with your enquiry. If you are submitting a request for a commercial development, please use our new non-householder checklist for targeting our response to your requirements.
What do I need to provide?
- A clear description of your enquiry
- Plans, sketches or photographs.
The quality of information you are able to provide will be reflected in the advice we are able to give to you.
How do I pay?
- Call Customer Services on 02392 446019 (say 'Planning' when asked for the service you require) for telephone payments.
- Pay in person at the Plaza, Civic Centre Road, Havant using the payment kiosk.
- Cheque made payable to Havant Borough Council and posted to Planning Services, Havant Borough Council, Public Service Plaza, Civic Centre Road, Havant PO9 2AX.
Requests for pre-application advice and the response provided will not be placed on the council’s website.
There is the possibility that under Freedom of Information Regulations (FOI) or Environmental Information Regulations (EIR), we will be asked to provide information about enquiries and we have to decide whether the information can be released.
If your information needs to remain confidential, please let us know when making your request.