Personal licence

A personal licence is needed to supervise the sale of alcohol in any premises including pubs, off-licences, restaurants and hotels.

To obtain a personal licence you must:

  • be over 18
  • have no relevant criminal convictions and produce a current (less than 1 month old) basic disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) if you’re living in England or Wales. If you live in Scotland, you should apply to Disclosure Scotland. If you live in Northern Ireland, you should apply to AccessNI
    You can apply for a basic check directly through DBS using their online application route or through a Responsible Organisation registered with DBS.
  • possess an approved licensing qualification e.g. BIIAB Level 2, CIEH Level 2 Award, HABC Level 2, IQ Level 2, LASER Level 2, Pearson BTEC Level 2, QNUK Level 2, SQA Level 2 or TQUK Level 2 
  • pay the required fee

A personal licence holder may give consent to become a Designated Premised Supervisor (DPS) for a licensed premises where the activity of supply of alcohol is authorised. 

The DPS has a legal responsibility for authorising the sale of alcohol and will generally be responsible for the day to day running of the establishment and the court can forfeit their licence if they are convicted of any relevant offences. 

It is worth ensuring that should the DPS not be present on the premises there is a clear management structure with which the staff are familiar.