This section of the webpage contains all the information you should need for your application. It is critical that water quality is robustly considered during the determination of relevant planning applications in Havant Borough in order for any planning permission to be considered lawful.
The Position Statement and Mitigation Plan for Nutrient Neutral Development and accompanying European Sites Avoidance and Mitigation Checklist sets out how development proposals should consider the issue. This sets out the mechanisms for development to achieve nutrient neutrality.
- Position Statement and Mitigation Plan (pdf 576kb)
- 2023 European site avoidance and mitigation checklist (PDF 49 kb)
For development to calculate their occupancy rate which will be used in the applications nutrient budget they should use and submit the Council’s occupancy calculator.
Please note that mitigation costs for recreational disturbance and the Council’s nutrient neutrality mitigation are revised at the start of each financial year. Please use the 2023 version of the checklist if you are currently preparing a planning application which will not be determined before the 1 April 2023.
- Havant occupancy calculator (xls 16 kb)
The Council has produced the following process notes to provide a step by step explanation for what applications need to do in order to address nutrient neutrality.
- New applications process note (pdf 86 kb)
- Application stalled process note (pdf 84 kb)
Natural England’s advice for achieving nutrient neutrality and calculating the nutrient budget for planning applications can be found below:
Natural England updated guidance and calculators (2022)
- Nutrient budget calculator version 2.3 (xls 3.8 mb)
- Nutrient budget calculator guidance (pdf 815 kb)
- Nutrient neutrality generic methodology (pdf 988 kb)
- Nutrient neutrality Solent map (pdf 2 mb)
- Nutrient neutrality – a summary guide (pdf 141 kb)
- Nutrient neutrality mitigation principles (pdf 152 kb)
- Natural England's advice for development proposals (pdf 500 kb)
Natural England Solent Nutrients Guidance (v5 June 2020)
Following the national rollout of updated guidance and catchment calculators in early 2022, Natural England as the relevant statutory body has confirmed that certain aspects of their 2020 Solent nutrients guidance remain relevant:
- Letter from Natural England to Havant Borough Council re: Use of Natural England Solent Nutrients Guidance
The council has also commissioned the following reports which have informed our approach to this issue:
- Budds farm catchment study (pdf 2.1 mb)
- Warblington farm study (pdf 2.5 m)
- Warblington farm study addendum (pdf 414 kb)
Water Efficiency Calculator
For guidance on how to complete a water efficiency calculator and what should be included please refer to Appendix A (pages 36-44) of the ‘The Building Regulations 2010 – Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency’.