The Mayor of Havant Borough Council for 2019-20 is Cllr Diana Patrick.
If you would like to invite the Mayor to attend a function, please email the Mayor’s secretary, Anne Thurlow on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 023 9244 6152.
The role of the Mayor other than as Chairman of the Council, is wholly one arising from custom and practice. In 1974 the council (legally a district council) petitioned for the right to be called a borough and being granted that status, was and is entitled to call its chairman "Mayor".
What does the Mayor do?
- Presides over meetings of the council so that its business can be carried out efficiently and with regard to the rights of councillors and the interests of the community
- Ensures that the council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of concern to the local community and the place at which members who are not on the Cabinet are able to hold the Cabinet and committee chairmen to account
- Promotes public involvement in the council's activities
- Can be the "conscience" of the council
- Attends such civic and ceremonial functions as the council as he/she determines appropriate
- The Mayor is available to attend functions and activities, arranged either to promote the borough, or for charitable causes.
What is the correct way of addressing the Mayor?
The full title of the Mayor is: The Worshipful the Mayor of Havant.
What are the Mayor's charities?
It is traditional for the Mayor of Havant to choose a charity or good cause to support during their year in office.
Cllr Diana Patrick, has chosen the following charities: