Who carries out the Local Land Charges search?

Search requests are usually received from the Solicitor or Licensed Conveyancer acting for the purchaser of a property. Personal Search Companies also make searches and anyone can make a search if they submit their request on the correct forms. These forms - the LLC1 and CON29 - are available from Legal stationers.

How can I be sure that a property lies within the Havant Borough Council boundary?

We cover the following areas, if you are in any doubt as to whether your property is within the boundaries of Havant Borough, telephone our office and we will try to help you.

  • Bedhampton
  • Cowplain
  • Emsworth
  • Havant
  • Hayling Island
  • Purbrook
  • Waterlooville
  • Widley

How long will it take to process my search?

Usually no more than 5-8 working days. For up to date information on current turnaround times, contact the Local Land Charges Team at landcharges@havant.gov.uk

How many forms do I need to submit?

The LLC1 and Con29 forms should be submitted when sending in a postal request.

Do I need to send you any plans of the property?

Yes, we require one copy of the plan with the property to be searched outlined clearly in red.

Who do I make my cheques payable to?

Havant Borough Council

Can I submit a Client's cheque?

We will accept client's cheques

Do you answer Drainage enquiries?

No, please contact: The Land Search Team Southern Water.


Address: The Land Search Team Southern Water, Southern House, Capstone Road, Chatham, Kent ME5 7QA.

Telephone: 01634 824100

Fax: 01634 844514

Website: www.southernwater.co.uk

Will the road information reply tell me if all the roads abutting my property are adopted?

Our search reply will only refer to the road named in the property address given in Box B on the CON29 form.  If you wish to have information regarding any other roads that abut your property you will need to name them in Box C and clearly mark them on your search plan.

Do I send my Commons Registration Search to you?


Can Land Charges tell me who owns a certain property or piece of land?

Queries over ownership of land or boundary issues are dealt with Land Registry and can be contacted at www.landregistry.gov.uk. The Council’s Estates team will be able to tell you whether the land is owned by Havant Borough Council, please telephone (023) 9244 6242. 

Do you deal with Highway enquiries?

The Highway authority for this area is Hampshire County Council, Environment Department, Hampshire County Council, The Castle, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 8UD Telephone 01962 846905.