We are working hard to minimise disruption to our services as a result of the coronavirus situation, however in some cases services may be disrupted due to staff absence or official advice from the government.
Please read our Housing service update following the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Havant Borough Council does not have its own stock of council housing, or social housing as it is more commonly referred to.
In partnership with other local authorities, Havant Borough Council manages a choice-based letting scheme for allocating rented social housing.
This is known as Hampshire Home Choice.
The Havant Housing service team offers advice and assistance including:
- A drop in housing advice service (9am-5pm Mon-Thurs, 9am-4.30pm Fri)
- Housing options interviews with a housing officer
- Help with applying for affordable housing
- Homelessness assessments and the provision of temporary accommodation
- Help with securing private rented accommodation through the Supported Tenancy Scheme
- Mediation to help resolve landlord / tenant disputes
- Assistance in avoiding repossession in court actions
- Advice for owner occupiers who may be facing financial difficulties
- Access to support services in the local area
- New affordable housing through the council's enabling capabilities
- The Council's Homelessness Strategy
- The Council's Allocations Policy
Housing Services are regularly reviewed to ensure that the highest quality service is delivered at the most cost effective price.
Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018
After receiving Royal Ascent, the Home Act came into force on Wednesday 20 March 2019.
What does this mean?
If your landlord (private, social or local authority) fails to comply with their obligation to ensure their property is fit for human habitation and free of significant or serious hazards, you as their tenant will have the right to take court action for breach of contract.
Guidance has also been issued to your landlord on what this new act means to them.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to explains further or provide assistance.