Empty properties are a wasted resource. Under the Housing Act 2004, local authorities can, in certain circumstances, to take over the management of properties that have been left empty for over six months.
However, we prefer to work with owners and offer help and support to bring empty properties back into use.
Do you own an empty property?
We can offer advice on:
- renovation works
- letting arrangements
- sale or redevelopment potential.
What are the benefits for property owners?
An occupied property:
- is more secure
- is more likely to be kept in good condition so will be worth more
- can provide a rental income.
What are the benefits to the community?
A reoccupied property:
- improves the appearance of the neighbourhood
- provides housing for local people
- eases the pressure of housing development on greenfield sites
- increases the value of neighbouring homes
- increases trade for local shops and businesses
- reduces the risk of squatters, vandalism and crime.
If you would like further information on bringing an empty home back into use, please phone the Private Sector Housing team on 023 9244 6670.