Bulky waste collection

Our service

Who can book a collection?

You must live in the borough to be eligible for our bulky waste collection service. This service is only for householders, we cannot collect any trade or commercial waste.

What happens when I book a collection?

Once you make your booking, we will give you a day of collection. Your bulky item should be left outside your home by 7am, making sure it’s easy for us to access and is not blocking the public highway.

How can I book?

To book and get more information, please call Customer Services on 023 9244 6010.

Please note, there is a charge for using our bulky waste collection service. 

What won’t we collect?

There are some restrictions on the items that we can collect.

For example, we will not collect:

  • glass and furniture with glass panels
  • commercial or trade waste
  • waste from property refurbishment (including fitted items such as kitchen cupboards, whole bathroom suites and fitted wardrobes)
  • hazardous waste, such as vehicles or similar
  • batteries and paints
  • building materials, fixtures and fittings
  • paving slabs, bricks, rubble, soil and trees
  • garage doors

We will also not take garden waste as part of this service, however we do offer a garden waste service.

No builders rubble or soil will be collected. Small quantities should be taken to one of your local recycling centres.

Where should I leave the items for collection?

We can only collect items from an open location, for example your front garden.

All gates must be unlocked. You should leave the items ready for collection by 7am. You will be provided with a definite day of collection.

If mattresses or sofas are placed outside for collection, please make sure these are covered to stop them becoming wet and too heavy to lift.

What happens when my item is collected?

The crew will not enter any property to collect items. Bulky items for collection will be sprayed with disinfectant prior to being loaded onto the collection vehicle.

Other ways to dispose of large household items

If you have large household items to dispose of, there are a number of charitable organisations that may be able to assist.

Many of the things we no longer need can either be put to good use by someone else.

If your item is in good condition try using the Smart Living Reuse Directory to find a furniture reuse charity near you.

Household Waste Recycling Centres

Household Waste Recycling Centres, run by Hampshire County Council, are open with restrictions and social distancing in place.

For the latest information on changes to our council services, follow us on social media or sign up to our email updates.