If you plan to demolish a building, you are required by law to tell:

  • the local authority
  • the suppliers of gas and electricity
  • the occupiers of next door buildings.

You should complete a Section 80 Notice and wait until we have replied to this, or six weeks have passed, before you undertake the demolition.

You don’t need to tell us if the demolition is:

  • an internal part of a building
  • in a building that is occupied and it will continue to be occupied
  • a building with an external volume of not more than 50m cubed
  • a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage (where they form part of a larger building)
  • an agricultural building, unless it is in contact with another non-agricultural building.

If you demolish a building, you won’t automatically get planning permission to build a replacement on the site.

For further information or advice, please contact Building Control on 023 9244 6571 or email planning.development@havant.gov.uk.