Rubbish and recycling

Havant Borough Council operates an alternate weekly kerbside recycling and refuse collection service from wheeled bins. This means that ordinary refuse is collected one week and then recycling is collected the next week.

Rubbish and recycling - FAQs

What day are my wheeled bins emptied?

To find out which day of the week your collection is due please visit our bin collection page.

What size is the wheeled bin?

A standard 240 litre capacity wheeled bin is provided to every property for rubbish and recycling through out the borough.

Rubbish: The bin holds approx 4/5 full domestic sacks of rubbish

Recycling: All accepted recyclable materials to be placed clean and loose into the bin.

Does the council supply wheeled bins and is there a charge?

Yes, the council supplies both a rubbish and recycling wheeled bin to each property which must be used to contain your rubbish/recycling.

The first bin is given free, but if the bin is lost or stolen then a charge will be made to replace the bin.  If a second rubbish bin is required due to the number of people in the family, this may be approved after a visit by a Waste and Recycling Adviser.  They will ensure recycling is being done effectively and inform the resident of charge for second rubbish bin.  A payment would then need to be taken before the bin is delivered. Either call or email Customer Services, if you would like a Waste and Recycling Adviser to contact you.

How often are my wheeled bins collected?

Alternate weekly collection' (AWC) system: one week your rubbish is collected and the following week your recycling is collected.

All rubbish collected is taken to the Energy Recovery at Portsmouth where it is incinerated.  The energy from the incineration is converted into electricity and put back into the national grid, supplying homes in Portsmouth with energy.

All recyclable materials collected are taken to the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) at Portsmouth, where it is sorted and distributed onwards.

For those materials that cannot be collected from the recycling containers (e.g. glass, textiles etc.) there are various recycling points throughout the borough.

My property is not suitable for storing a wheeled bin - what can I do?

The council recognises that some properties are not able to accommodate a wheeled bin because of the type or layout of the property, for example:-

  • Terraced properties opening directly onto pavement or road and with no rear access
  • Properties with steep banks and many steps
  • Properties such as flats where all waste is contained in a shared refuse compound
  • Properties with restricted access.

Contact Customer Services if your property has any of the above issues - each one will be considered on an individual basis.

Where should I put my bin to be emptied?

On your collection day, you should place your wheeled bin at the boundary of your property adjacent to the road - please make sure the handles are facing out towards the road, as this makes it easier for collection. Your bin must be out by 7am on the day of collection (or the night before), and returned onto your property as soon as possible.  Bins must not be left out on the public highway unless being presented for collection.

The council will not be responsible for collecting bins that have not been presented on time or at the incorrect collection point.

What if I am unable to move my wheeled bin to the boundary of my property?

For those of you who are unable to take the bin to the edge of your property you can request an assisted collection, this is where the rubbish and recycling crews will collect wheeled bins from an agreed location. 

Eligibility for this service is decided by a council officer after a planned visit.

Either call or message Customer Services (see Contact Us on the right) if you would like a Waste and Recycling Advisor to contact you.

There is more rubbish than normal, will the excess be cleared?


Any excess rubbish left alongside the bin or on top will NOT be collected and will have to wait until the next scheduled rubbish collection or be disposed of at your nearest Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC).  Use the Recycle Now (external link) for a list of HWRCs in your area and opening times.

If you have a larger family living permanently at the property, then you may be eligible for an additional domestic or recycling bin.  Please either call or message Customer Services if you would like a Waste and Recycling Adviser to contact you.


Extra recycling can be placed alongside the wheeled bin, in either a cardboard box or untied plastic sack.  Please do not put in tied black sacks as these can be mistaken for domestic rubbish and will not be collected.

Why has my wheeled bin not been emptied?

It could be because your bin was not placed on the front boundary of your property on the day of collection, and therefore not accessible to the crew between 7am and 4pm.  Parked vehicles and locked gates can also cause issues.  If this is not the case then please either call or message Customer Services within 24 hrs to ensure a return collection.


My refuse is going to smell over a two week period and I'll get maggots in my bin

Maggots can appear within 8-12 hours of eggs being laid by flies in warm weather and have always been present on weekly collected rubbish.  These problems will not be encountered if food waste is wrapped and sealed properly in a tied plastic bag with no holes or tears (in summer a double wrapping is best).  Wheeled bins significantly reduce the liability of flies getting into bins to lay eggs - If possible storing a bin in a shady location and occasionally using contact insecticide on the inside of the bin will help.

What can I put in my recycling bin?

Please place all of the items listed below in your bin - clean and loose.  Do not place in plastic carrier bags or black sacks as these cannot be recycled in our scheme and causes problems at the sorting facility.

Plastic bottles - all types e.g. milk, fruit juice, squash, mineral water, household cleaners and detergent bottles.  Please remove lids and empty and rinse all bottles.

Paper/Cardboard - newspapers, magazines, yellow pages, phone books, cardboard, catalogues, envelopes, other paper products and cardboard packaging can be included.

Cans - food tins (please rinse), drinks cans (please rinse), aerosols (empty, with the plastic lids removed, can should not be pierced or squashed). Most empty aerosol cans such as deodorants, hair sprays air fresheners and furniture polish can be accepted in kerbside recycling collections as well as in can banks. However, aerosols for products such as insecticides, oven cleaners, paints and automotive sprays – often marked with a skull and cross bones or a black cross on an orange background – are not accepted in your kerbside recycling collection and should be placed in normal household waste bins for disposal.

What is not accepted in my recycling bin?

It is important that the right materials are placed in the container to avoid contamination/spoiling the quality of the other good recyclable material.  Listed below are common items that appear in recycling bins, please do not place any of the items listed in your bin.

  • Other plastic packaging - e.g. yogurt, margarine or ice cream tubs, carrier bags/bin liners, polystyrene, cellophane, food trays etc.
  • Cartons - e.g. fruit juice, soup and milk cartons.
  • Domestic waste
  • Shredded paper
  • Gift Wrap
  • Garden Waste
  • Textiles - e.g. clothes, shoes, linen etc
  • Glass Bottles or jars

Where can I recycle other items (such as glass, textiles etc)?

Click here for a list of Recyclenow (external site) in the Havant Borough - place your postcode in the 'Find out what you can recycle and where....'  click on the recycling bank icons - this will list what is accepted at these sites.

Please note that paperbanks around the borough are now accepting cardboard as well as paper and magazines.

Other types of waste

If you are unsure which category the waste you want to dispose of fits under, please clink on alternative routes (external site). This search facility will also list numbers of local community organisation and licensed private waste contractors who will, for a possible fee, collect or take delivery of other types of waste not accepted at HWRCs.

What are the opening and closing times of the Household Waste and Recycling Centres?

HWRCs (commonly known as the tip or the dump) are operated by Hampshire County Council, who set their opening and closing times.

What can I do with my Garden Waste?

Please see the Garden Waste page for more detailed information.

Alternatively you can take your garden waste to your local Household Waste Recycling Centres.  All garden waste collected within the borough is recycled into soil conditioner called Pro-Grow which is sold throughout Hampshire at the HWRC's.

What other waste collection services do you provide?

Please see the other collection services page for more detailed information.

Where is my nearest Household Waste Recycling Centres/Amenity Site?

Please visit the Recyclenow page for a list of HWRCs around the borough.