There have been various council and developer ideas to improve and regenerate Waterlooville town centre. These ideas have had varying impacts. The town centre continues to experience significant change driven by the West of Waterlooville Major Development Area and a shifting focus of shops away from the traditional London Road offering. These include:
- West of Waterlooville Major Development Area
- Waterlooville Town Centre Urban Design Framework
- Waterlooville Town Centre Integration Study
- Town Centre Public Realm Improvements
- Havant Local Plan – Retail Evidence work for Havant and Waterlooville town centres
Most recently, ideas have been emerging that recognise London Road and the Wellington Shopping Centre lie between the successful Wellington Retail Park and Dukes Walk. There is little footfall between the two resulting in the decline in the traditional centre.
A focused scheme was presented to the council at the recent Development Consultation Forum by the landowners Westbook Properties. The proposals for private rented sector studio flats would bring a new housing product into the local market and could be a catalyst to bring more footfall into the town centre.