Support for vulnerable people

While shielding is not a feature of this lockdown, the government has asked councils to specifically support or advise people defined as clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus, who are asked to take extra care in staying at home as much as possible and minimising contacts with others.

Support is also still available for all residents who might need help with accessing food and medicines, if they do not have support from family or neighbours.

This can be done by:

Anyone who needs help can also call the Hampshire Coronavirus Support and Helpline on 0333 370 4000.

The helpline is open 9am to 5pm on weekdays.

The council encourages those on low incomes, even if their income has reduced for a temporary period, to check their eligibility for council tax support and Universal Credit.

The government has also introduced a new test and trace support payment to help you if you have to self-isolate and are unable to work.

If you have been contacted by NHS test and trace and have been told to self-isolate, you may be entitled to a payment of £500.

During the pandemic, the council has worked especially closely with local community-run foodbanks, and keep in regular contact to ensure they are well stocked and have the assistance they require.

What you should do

Stay active - you can continue to take regular exercise outdoors.

Accessing care and support - continue to access any care, medical services and essential or urgent care when you need to.

Mental health - take steps to look after your mental health and seek help from a health professional if needed.

Support and advice - look out for contact from Hampshire County Council or Havant Borough Council asking if you need extra support.