Ownership certificates

Certificates under Article 11 of the Town & Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2010

How to complete the ownership/agricultural certificates

Article 11 of the Development Management Procedure Order 2010 provides that an applicant for planning permission shall give notice of the application to any person who is an owner of the land to which the application relates, or an agricultural tenant, and every application shall be accompanied by a certificate of compliance with this requirement.

You should complete only one of the certificates; whichever is applicable

Certificate A: Should be completed if you are the only owner of the land: OR

Certificate B: Should be completed if you are not the owner of the land but know the owner(s).  You must also send a completed Notice 1 to all owners of the land or property: OR

Certificate C: Should be completed if you do not own all the land and know only some of the owners.  You must also send a completed Notice 1 to all known owners and publish a completed Notice 2 in a Local Newspaper: OR

Certificate D: Should be completed if you do not own any of the land and do not know any of the owners.  You must also publish a completed Notice 2 in a Local Newspaper.

Agricultural certificate

If you have stated on any of the above Certificates that the land forms part of an agricultural holding and you are not the sole agricultural tenant, you must serve Notice 1 on any agricultural tenant.

Agricultural Certificates have recently been incorporated into the Ownership Certificates within the Application Form.

Notices to download

Glossary of terms

Owner’ means a person having a freehold interest or a leasehold interest the unexpired term of which is not less than 7 years, or, in the case of development consisting of the mining or working of minerals, a person entitled to an interest in a mineral in the land (other than oil, gas, coal, gold or silver).

Tenant’ means a tenant of an agricultural holding any part of which is comprised in the land.

Statement of owner’s rights’ - the grant of planning permission does not affect owner’s rights to retain or dispose of their property, unless there is some provision to the contrary in an agreement or in a lease.

Statement of agricultural tenant’s rights’ - the grant of planning permission for non-agricultural development may affect agricultural tenants' security of tenure.

Householder development’ means development of an existing dwelling house, or development within the curtilage of such a dwelling house for any purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house. It does not include a change of use or a change to the number of dwellings in a building.