Other licence applications

Scrap metal dealers

A scrap metal dealer is someone who, as a business, wholly or partly buys and sells scrap metal, other than in the course of manufacture or as a by product of manufacture and now includes motor salvage operators.  Scrap metal dealers must have either a site licence or a collector's licence but cannot have both from the same local authority.

  • Site licence - All sites where a licensee carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer have to be identified and a site manager has to be identified for each site.  This licence      allows the licensee to transport scrap metal  to and from those sites from any local authority area.
  • Collector's licence - This allows the licensee to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority.  It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area, so a separate licence has to be obtained from each council the collector wishes to operate in.  The licence does not authorise the licensee to operate a site; to do so they will need a site licence from the relevant local authority.

If a collector operates in several local authority areas then they will need a collector's licence from each of those local authorities.

Both Site and Collector licences are valid for a period of three years.  The fees for each type of licence can be viewed by going to the related page on the right side of this page.

Further information is available by following the link to 'Guidance to the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013' at the bottom of this page.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.  If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Sex establishments

The provisions of schedule 3 Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 are in force in this authority area.  This requires that such establishments, these include vehicles, vessels and stalls as well as more traditional buildings, must be licensed.

These establishments are defined as sex shops or cinemas.  A sex shop is a premises that to a significant degree sells, hires, exchanges, lends, displays or demonstrates articles or other things that can be associated with sexual activities.  A sex cinema is a premises other than a private dwelling, that portrays or deals with sexual activities and associated behaviour.  There are exemptions.

A licensing authority must judge each application on its merits but may resolve the number of such licensed premises appropriate to its area.  At this time Havant Borough Council has resolved that number as - zero.