Flies want to lay their eggs directly on food waste, the presence of maggots indicate they have had access to your food waste before or after your bin was placed outside.
Here are some measures that you can take to reduce potential problems:
- All food waste should be placed in tied plastic bags - double wrapping is best
- Where possible store your bin in a shady location and out of direct sunlight
- Recycle as many materials as possible, so that general refuse is minimised
- Do not leave food waste exposed inside your home before putting it in the bin, this is when flies will lay their eggs.
- Keep the bin clean using a disinfectant to help prevent the build-up of food scraps/grime/smells
- Tie waste sacks with air-tight knots and ensure there are no holes – this will prevent flies being able to get into your waste.
Good hygiene in the home is the best way of preventing the spread of disease and infection. Flies are all around and have the potential to spread disease, no matter what type of refuse collection service is in operation.