Havant Borough Council has warned residents to be wary of scammers offering to change their Council Tax banding.
Companies claiming to be working with the council are contacting residents in the borough telling them their Council Tax banding is incorrect and that they are paying too much tax.
Residents are receiving doorstop visits, phone calls, text messages. The companies claim they can speed up the process of correctly banding the resident’s property for a fee.
Havant Borough Council does NOT undertake any kind of cold calling about Council Tax banding.
If you think someone is trying to scam you, you should:
- Not invite them into your home
- Not respond to any texts or emails
- Not click any weblinks
- Not hand over any of your personal details
- Not pay out any money
- Not engage in conversation
- Notify Hampshire County Council’s Trading Standards and the police on 101.
Anyone who believes their property is in the incorrect banding for Council Tax should visit www.gov.uk or contact 030 0050 1501 for more information.