- £3.4million funding agreed with Homes England to accelerate the delivery of new homes in Havant
- The Civic Campus site will be developed to provide 121 new apartments
- Havant Borough Council to prioritise the use of modern methods of construction
Homes England has agreed a £3.4million funding deal with Havant Borough Council. The funding has been awarded through the Government’s £450 million Local Authority Accelerated Construction Programme and will enable development of new homes on the Council’s surface car parks at the Civic Campus.
The Council plans to use the funding to accelerate the delivery of, 121 apartments prioritising the use of modern methods of construction. Ideally located in Havant Town Centre, the one hectare surface level public car park adjoins the council offices and is close to Havant railway station.
Havant Council has aspirations to regenerate Havant Town Centre and the acceleration of new housing at the Civic Campus follows the development of Havant Plaza, which includes public sector facilities, leisure, homes for key workers and commercial office space.
The existing parking would be relocated through the construction of multi-storey parking on neighbouring surface car parks.
Stephen Kinsella, Executive Director for Land at Homes England, said: “The funding will enable Havant Borough Council to accelerate their regeneration plans and deliver much needed homes. The plans aim to prioritise the use of off-site manufacturing deliver high quality, precision engineered and highly energy efficient homes on this town centre site.”
Councillor Tim Pike, Deputy Leader of Havant Borough Council and Cabinet Lead for Finance and Regeneration said: “We are delighted to receive this funding from Homes England that will kick start Havant Borough Council’s regeneration plans."
"The civic campus site has great potential. Its transformation will be a game-changer for our borough delivering new homes, construction jobs and economic growth. I believe it is the start of a regeneration programme that will deliver future prosperity right across our borough.”
About Homes England
- Homes England is the Government’s housing accelerator. We have the appetite, influence, expertise and resources to drive positive market change. By releasing more land to developers who want to make a difference, and investing in places of greatest need, to deliver new homes.
- Homes England welcomes partners who share the ambition to challenge the traditional norms and build better homes faster. For more information visit their home page or follow them on Twitter @HomesEngland.
- The Local Authority Accelerated Construction programme was launched to accelerate the delivery of local authority housing schemes and encourages the use of innovative construction methods and a wider range of builders, in particular small and medium sized companies.