Havant Borough Council is asking residents to help prevent fly-tipping by not using unlicensed waste collectors and to always follow the SCRAP code when hiring someone to take away their rubbish. Using unauthorised providers can result in a fine of up to £400.
Authorised and genuine firms, operating legally, will hold a waste carriers’ licence and be registered with the Environment Agency. Residents can check that registration online or by calling the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506.
Make the following checks when hiring anyone to take away your rubbish:
- Suspect – beware of rogue waste carriers and only use a registered waste carrier. If the price sounds too cheap it probably is!
- Check - Ask to see their waste carrier registration details and verify them by checking the online register or by calling the Environment Agency. Note down the registration number of the vehicle used to take your waste away.
- Refuse – Do not use anyone who has cold called you. Always carry out your own research and choose who you wish to use.
- Ask - Always ask what exactly is going to happen to your rubbish and seek evidence that it is going to be disposed of appropriately. A legitimate, professional waste carrier who wants your business should not object to being asked reasonable questions.
- Paperwork - Obtain a receipt/transfer note with the vehicle registration details, description of the waste taken, the name of the person/company and the amount you paid.
Councillor Narinder Bains, Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet Lead for Community Safety and Organisational Development, said: “Please check that any company taking away unwanted items is licensed. We have seen an increase in companies taking goods from customers and dumping them at the side of the road or on land creating a real eye sore in our communities."
There are many options available to dispose of any unwanted items, these include: charity shops and deposit bins (do not leave outside the shop or on the floor, as this is regarded as fly tipping), selling on local buy and sell pages or passing onto family and friends.
If none of these options are suitable for the items you wish to dispose of Havant Borough Council operate a bulky waste collection service. More information about this service can be found on our Bulky Waste webpage or by calling Customer Services on 023 9244 6010.
You can also dispose of some items for fee at Hampshire County Council's Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs). Full details on what these centres accept, and how to book your visit.