The council is responsible for the licensing of a wide range of activities and premises. The Licensing Team grant licences to ensure public confidence and safety and to minimise crime and disorder, nuisance and other disturbance to residents, visitors and businesses from licensable activities.

Online applications

Many of our licences are available through the EU Services Directive. This has been brought in to make it easier for service providers to offer their services to customers in all EU countries. 

However some licences, including taxi and gambling licences, are not covered by this initiative. Please follow the links to the relevant licensing information.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent is the consent by silence. Where this may apply, the question 'Will tacit consent apply?' appears as part of the information given for relevant licensing areas. 

If the answer is yes, this means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Local Authority by the end of the target completion period or have not been advised of any extension period. 

If the answer is no, then it has been deemed in the public interest that the Local Authority must fully process the application before it can be granted.

Royal Wedding Licensing Hours

The Government has published the Licensing Act 2003 (Royal Wedding Licensing Hours) Order 2018, which will extend the hours for certain licensable activities during the up and coming royal wedding.

The Order will extend opening hours on the nights of Friday 18 May and Saturday 19 May to 1am the following mornings for the sale of alcohol for consumption on licensed premises including the supply of alcohol on Club Premises in England and Wales. If a premises takes advantage of the ability to provide alcohol till 1am, they will also be able to provide late night refreshment up until 1am. 

The important points to note are that the hours for Regulated Entertainment are not extended and it only applies to the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Premises must hold a valid Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate issued under the Licensing Act 2003 in order to take advantage of the above.