Disabled Facilities Grant criteria

The criteria for the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) are as follows:

  • Facilitating access by the disabled occupant to and from their home or the building in which their home is situated.
  • Making the home safe for the disabled occupant.
  • Facilitating access by the disabled occupant to the main family room.
  • Facilitating access by the disabled occupant to, or providing, a room used for sleeping.
  • Facilitating access by the disabled occupant to, or providing a room in which there is, a lavatory, or facilitating the use of this facility.
  • Facilitating access by the disabled occupant to or providing a room in which there is a bath or shower and a wash basin or facilitating the use of such facilities.
  • Facilitating access by the disabled occupant for the preparation and cooking of food within the home.
  • Improving, or making more suitable, an existing heating system to meet the needs of the disabled occupant, or if there is no existing heating system, providing one to meet his/her needs.
  • Facilitating the use by the disabled occupant of a source of power, light or heat by altering the access to, or control of that source, or by providing additional means of control.
  • Facilitating access by the disabled occupant around the home to enable him/her to care for another person who normally lives there and is in need of such care.
  • Facilitating access by the disabled occupant to the garden of the dwelling.  However, there are restrictions on how this can be used here. It can be used to create a safe route with an accessible doorway and for a level area within the immediate garden area. A DFG will not fund access to all/furthest parts of the garden.

Who can apply?

Homeowners, Housing Association Tenants and Private Tenants can apply. Landlords can also apply for an occupant who is registered disabled or eligible to register as disabled. We will make an assessment to see if the works are practical and will provide the most effective long-term solution. In exceptional cases, if your home is not suitable for adaptation, we may recommend that the best way forward to help you would be to move to a more suitable accommodation.

If you are a Portsmouth City Council Tenant and would like to apply for housing adaptations to meet your needs, please contact your Landlord, Portsmouth City Council.

Havant Borough Council does not adapt Portsmouth City Council’s properties.

How much grant will you receive?

All applications, except those for a child under the age of 16, or a young person under 19 who is in full time education, are subject to a standard financial means test of the disabled person and their partner, unless they are in receipt of a passporting benefit e.g. Housing Benefit. This process determines the level of contribution, if any, you will be required to make towards the cost of the work. In the case of the landlord's application, the landlord may be required to contribute towards the cost of the work for their tenant.

This is based on a financial assessment (a "means test"), and you will be told how much your grant will be and whether you will need to contribute towards the cost of the works before you decide to go ahead. However, don't be discouraged from applying, as people with significant savings may be eligible for a grant towards the work. Grants to benefit a disabled child or qualifying young person (aged 18 years or younger) or if you receive an income related benefit or if you receive working tax credit and child tax credit and have an income less than £15,460, you will then be exempt from a financial assessment.

Means Test for DFG

The Means Test for DFG’s is a financial assessment of yourself and your partner (if applicable). The means test will look at your income, savings etc and calculate whether or not you may need to contribute towards the grant. You would need to provide us with proof of all incomes and savings you have.

Check what contribution may apply.

How do I pay my contribution (if applicable)?

Should you have a contribution towards the cost of the works, you will need to pay the contractor/builder directly and prior to the work starting.

Contractors and builders will be informed at the approval stage, that a contribution from the applicant exists.   

Discretionary Assistance

Discretionary Assistance Includes:

  • Applicant’s Contribution Disregard
  • Top-up Grant
  • Abortive fees Grant
  • Critical Repairs Grant
  • Specialist Equipment Replacement Grant
  • Disability Repair Grants
  • Stairlifts Grants
  • Urgent Adaptation Grant

DFG Conditions

Where DFG adaptations are carried out in owner-occupied properties and the grant funding exceeds £5,000, a Local Land Charge will be registered against the property for a period of 10 years. If the recipient disposes (whether by sale, assignment, transfer or otherwise) of the premises in respect of which the grant was given within 10 years of the certified date of completion, the Council will require the repayment of the proportion of the grant that exceeds £5,000, by demand. The amount repaid to the Council will not exceed £10,000.

For example, if the grant was worth less than £5,000, no repayment would apply.  If the grant was worth £7,500the repayment within 10 years would be £2,500.  If the grant was worth £25,000, the repayment would be a maximum of £10,000.