The next European Parliamentary Election will be held across Europe from 22 - 26 May 2019. In the UK, polling day will be Thursday 23 May 2019.
- Notice of election (pdf 78 kb)
The poll and declaration of results for the South East of England is administered by the Regional Returning Officer, Mark Heath who is also the Local Returning Officer for the Southampton Area.
MEPs are elected under a proportional representation system (d.Hondt). In the UK you have one vote to elect all of your MEPs. Each party puts forward a list of candidates called a 'party list' and you vote for one of these lists or for an independent candidate
Voting in these elections
To vote in these elections, you need to be registered on the Register of Electors and you must be:
- Resident in the Havant area on the date of the election
- A British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of a member state of the European Union
- 18 years old or over.
The deadline for applying to register to vote in this election is Tuesday 7 May 2019.
Details of where your polling station is located will be on your poll card.
If you are unable to get to your polling station on Thursday 23 May 2019, there are different options available to you in order for you to cast your vote:
- By post - the deadline to apply to vote by post is 5pm on Wednesday 8 May 2019
- By proxy - the deadline to apply to vote by proxy is 5pm on Wednesday 15 May 2019
- Emergency proxy - the deadline to apply to vote by emergency proxy (on the grounds of physical incapacity or for work/service reasons) is 5pm on Thursday 23 May 2019.
Completed postal or proxy forms can either be scanned and emailed back to us at email@example.com, or posted back to the Electoral Services, Havant Borough Council, Public Service Plaza, Civic Centre Road, Havant, PO9 2AX.