Street parties

The UK has a long and proud history of organised street parties to celebrate national events.  

The council is keen to offer free advice to residents wishing to organise a street party and ensure they are aware of what needs to be considered. For example to keeping emergency vehicle access available at all times – if road closure is required an application needs to be made in advance, at least six weeks before the date of the event. 

If you are planning a street party or an event on the public highway you will need a road closure order to cover its duration. A temporary closure means that all vehicles are kept out – but the road is open to pedestrians.

Before applying for a closure you will need to:

  • check that the residents in the street are happy with the proposed event
  • plan the event to avoid busy times
  • plan the event to avoid damage to the road or footway
  • consider what you would need to do to allow easy access for emergency vehicles in the case of an accident or fire
  • plan how you will clean the street after the party

Please complete the below road closure application if you would like to hold a street party.

Decorating with bunting and flags is a traditional activity during street parties, however you must inform Hampshire County Council if you wish to erect cables, banners, or decorative flags or lighting over the public highway for your event as a licence will be required. Licence fees and the requirement for Public Liability Insurance may be waived for important civic events.

Sporting events

If you are planning a sporting or leisure event on the highway (for example running races, cycle races etc) that will require road closures, you will need a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order under Section 16 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

The necessary legal procedure for processing road closures requires a minimum notice period of 6 weeks; without sufficient advance notice it may not be possible to process a closure application.

We work in partnership with the local Highway Authority (Hampshire County Council) who will determine an appropriate diversion route and Traffic Management plan; approved road signs will be positioned to inform diverted traffic. Please note, it is possible that an unplanned incident or emergency works may affect the diversion route.

Closures under this legislation must be consulted on, including two separate media adverts, and recovery of these advert costs is payable in addition to the current fee.

If a road closure is required for a sporting event then please complete the application form below.