Claiming benefits when working

You can claim Housing and/or Council Tax Support if you work full or part time and receive a low income. We will need to see proof of your earnings:

  • Your last 5 weekly payslips
  • Your last 3 fortnightly payslips
  • Your last 2 monthly payslips

If these are not available you may request a certificate of earnings form which can be completed by your employer.

If you have only just started work you can provide your contract of employment or an estimate of your earnings from your employer. Your claim can then be assessed using this information until your wage slips are received.

What If I am Self-Employed?

Self-employed people are eligible to claim Housing and or Council Tax Support Once you have submitted an application form, you will be sent an earnings statement and will be invited into the office for an interview. The purpose of the interview is to discuss the nature of your business and agree the evidence you will provide in support of the declaration you made on the earnings statement.

The type of evidence you will be expected to provide and which you should bring to your interview is:

  • Accounts
  • Records showing work undertaken
  • Invoices issued to customer
  • Receipts
  • Bills
  • Bank statements

The evidence requested will vary according to the type of business. If you are able to send us your evidence electronically, please email it to