Changes in your circumstances

If you are of working age or over 60 and not in receipt of Pension Credit, any change that may affect your benefit must be reported to us immediately.

What is regarded as a change?

If you, or anyone in your home:

  • Stops or starts receiving Income Support or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Stops or starts working, changes the number of hours they work or has their wages changed
  • Stops or starts getting any benefit, pension, tax credit or allowance
  • Has any other change of income or savings
  • Gets married, separated or dies
  • Comes to live in, or leaves your home
  • Leaves school
  • Moves home or changes rooms in a house you share with other people.

Any evidence requested in relation to your change in circumstances can be provided to us via a number of different contact methods. Photocopies of original documents are acceptable for this purpose.

What happens if you don't tell us?

Any changes that are not reported may result in a loss of benefit or an overpayment being created. It is important that any change of circumstances is reported to the council immediately to avoid these outcomes from occurring.

When reporting a change, your claim will be suspended until all information required is provided. This suspension is put in place to protect you from an overpayment occurring.

Once the information requested has been provided to us, your claim will be amended and any benefit that is owed as a result of the recalculation will be paid to you.

However, this will only happen if all information is provided within one month of the change being reported. 

To see how your change in circumstances may affect your benefit please use the benefits calculator.

If you receive Pension Credit Guaranteed Credit

If you are aged 60 or over and in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee, you must tell us about the following changes:

  • Any absence from your home, which is likely to be for more than 13 weeks
  • If a non-dependant moves in or out of your home.
  • If the income of a non-dependant changes
  • Rent increase (not applicable if you are a Portsmouth City Council tenant)
  • Change to your tenancy conditions (not applicable if you are a Portsmouth City Council Tenant

If you receive Pension Credit Savings Credit

If you are in receipt of the Pension Savings Credit only, you must tell us about all of the changes listed under Pension Guarantee Credit and the following:

An increase or decrease in any Child Tax Credit

  • If you start or stop getting Child Benefit
  • Your capital exceeds £16,000 
  • Changes to the income or capital of partner not included in the Pension credit claim.

All other changes should be reported to the Pension Service who will inform Havant Borough Council if it affects your entitlement to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.