Trees and hedges

If you wish to enquire whether a tree is subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO), Planning Condition or is within a Conservation Area, please call 023 92446015.

You will need to give the address, postcode, location and type of tree. We will be able to tell you if the tree is protected.

When you are buying a property the presence of a TPO should be shown by the search of the local land charges register.  

A copy of a TPO can be obtained from our Land Charges Team on 02392 446236/446246 or email

Within Planning Services please contact the Planning Enquiry Officers on 02392 446526/446514 or email

For enquiries relating to trees in parks and on green spaces owned by Havant Borough Council,  please contact: Andrew Skeet of the Council’s Parks and Open Spaces Team 02392 474174, email:

For enquiries relating to trees in public streets and verges, this is likely to be a matter for the Hampshire County Council Highways Office please telephone: 08456 035638 or email

For enquiries regarding trees at properties which are owned by a housing association or Portsmouth City Council enquires should be made to the relevant organisation.

If your query is about high hedges, they are covered by the Anti Social Behaviour Act, 2003. Please contact the Duty Planner on 02392 446015.