Challenge a Penalty Charge Notice

To make an informal challenge, you will need to submit your informal challenge within 14 (fourteen) days of the date of issue of the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) giving your reasons or explanation why you feel that it should be cancelled along with any supporting evidence you may have.

Informal challenges must be made in writing, and can be submitted in the following ways:

  1. Challenge your Penalty Charge Notice online. This online service is run by East Hampshire District Council but also covers PCNs issued in Havant.
  2. Send a letter addressed to: Parking and Traffic Management, PO Box 263, Petersfield, GU32 9FD; or
  3. Send an email to:

Within your informal challenge please ensure that you supply:

  • The PCN number which will have HV or VA as the prefix,
  • Your name and full address so that we may reply to you in writing,
  • Any supporting evidence (for example, a valid car park ticket, police incident number).


If you make an informal challenge we will extend the 14 day discount period whilst we consider it. This extension will only be made once - you are not allowed to make repeated challenges in order to extend the discount period.

  • If we accept your reasons for challenging the PCN, we will cancel the PCN and no further action will be taken.
  • If your informal challenge is unsuccessful, our reply letter/email will explain how you may make a formal representation by way of the statutory appeals process. This process will start when you receive the Notice to Owner from us (this will be sent 28 days after the PCN was issued).

We are only permitted to reconsider the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice based on a limited list of nationally standard circumstances. This procedure applies across the whole of England (except London) and ensures that the rules are applied consistently and without favour.

For further information regarding the formal appeals process and the Independent Adjudicators (Traffic Penalty Tribunal), please visit the PATROL website.