Democratic Services support the elected members of the council and their meetings. In supporting the meetings of the council, the team ensures that agendas and reports are published and circulated within legal deadlines. Team members attend meetings of the council and offer advice on procedure when necessary, ensuring that all decisions are made lawfully and democratically. The team then produces accurate minutes of the meetings for further publication.
In supporting elected members, the team inducts new members, carries out research for members, and provides information and advice.
The council's constitution describes the four basic elements through which the council operates: the council, the cabinet, overview and scrutiny, and the committees. The constitution sets out:
- The rules and procedures to be followed by the council and committees when conducting their business;
- The decision making powers of the cabinet and of committees;
- The financial and contract regulations;
- The scheme of delegation;
- The rights of the public to inspect reports and background documents;
- Codes of conduct for councillors and employees;
- Members' interests and members' allowances.
Mayor of Havant
Havant's 'First Citizen' - the role, the functions and duties, information on the current Mayor and contact details
Councillor allowances and payments
- Councillor allowances scheme 2016-2020 (pdf 20kb)
- Councillors' payments 2016-17 (pdf 200 kb)
- Councillors' payments 2014-15 (pdf 68kb)
- Councillors' payments 2013-14 (pdf 25kb)
On these documents you will find the current councillor allowances scheme which sets out the various allowances and claimable payments for travel and subsistence that are available to councillors.
The scheme and the actual payments made are both available to view.
The Councillor Allowances Scheme is reviewed at least every 4 years to comply with legislation. The next review is due in 2019.