Havant Borough Council does not have its own stock of council housing, or social housing as it is more commonly referred to.
In partnership, Havant Borough Council, East Hampshire District Council, Test Valley Borough Council, Eastleigh Borough Council and Winchester City Council manage a choice-based letting scheme for allocating rented social housing.
This is known as Hampshire Home Choice.
The Havant Housing service team offers advice and assistance including:
- A drop in housing advice service (10am-4pm Mon-Thurs, 10am-3.30pm Fri)
- Housing options interviews with a housing officer
- Help with applying for affordable housing
- Homelessness assessments and the provision of temporary accommodation
- Help with securing private rented accommodation through the Supported Tenancy Scheme
- Mediation to help resolve landlord / tenant disputes
- Assistance in avoiding repossession in court actions
- Advice for owner occupiers who may be facing financial difficulties
- Access to support services in the local area
- New affordable housing through the council's enabling capabilities
- The Council's Homelessness Strategy
- The Council's Allocations Policy
Housing Services are regularly reviewed to ensure that the highest quality service is delivered at the most cost effective price.
New legislation - Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018
After receiving Royal Ascent, the Home Act came into force on Wednesday 20 March 2019.
What does this mean?
If your landlord (private, social or Local Authority) fails to comply with their obligation to ensure their property, your home, is fit for human habitation, free of significant or serious hazards, you, as their tenant will have the right to take court action for breach of contract. Guidance has been issued for your information and advise to understand your rights under the Act.
Guidance has also been issued for your landlord on what this new Act means to them.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to explains further or provide assistance.