Upcoming elections

Notices of Poll

Statement of Persons Nominated

Election of Borough Councillors

If any election is contested the poll will take place on Thursday 3 May 2018.

Hayling West Ward vacancy

The election for this vacancy will take place at the next ordinary election to be held on Thursday 3 May 2018.

Electoral Register

The Electoral Services Office of the council prepares and publishes the Register of Electors which shows the names and addresses of all those who are entitled to vote at elections. You cannot vote if you are not registered on the Electoral Register

The team also organises and manages elections for Havant Borough Council, Hampshire County Council and the UK and European Parliaments.

How can I register to vote?

Please visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote to register online.  Alternatively you can call 023 9244 6225/6 to request a form.

If you are already registered to vote you must still complete the Register of Electors forms delivered to every household during the annual canvass, which begins at the end of August each year.

If you are unsure whether you are registered, call Electoral Services on (023) 9244 6225/6 to find out.

Where can I see the electoral roll?

The edited Electoral Register is available at the following locations:

  • Havant Library - for the Borough of Havant
  • Leigh Park Library - for Leigh Park wards
  • Waterlooville Library - for wards - Cowplain, Hart Plain, Waterloo, Stakes & Purbrook

The Electoral Register can only be inspected under supervision and no photocopying is allowed although some hand written notes are permissible.

Who is eligible to vote?

  •  You have to be aged 18 years or over - students may register at home address and student accommodation but must ensure they only vote from one address.
  • All British, Commonwealth, Irish and other European citizens (European citizens may only vote in European and Local Elections)
  • Overseas electors (may only vote in Parliamentary and European Elections)
  • Members of HM Forces and their spouses
  • Crown servants employed outside the United Kingdom

What if I cannot get to the polling station on election day?

If you are registered within the Havant Borough you can vote by post. Simply complete an application form and return it to the Electoral Services Office as soon as possible.

Full details, and an online form, are available on the Electoral Commission's website. As the form is a legal document it needs to be printed, signed and sent to your local council. If you do not wish to complete a form online, contact the Electoral Services Office and a copy will be sent to you. Please note that you must get your form to us at least eleven working days before an election.

Where can I find information about forthcoming elections?

Please visit the Electoral Commission's web site.

Election expenses, returns and declarations

These documents are available for inspection in the Electoral Services Office and copies may be purchased for a prescribed fee by contacting:

Telephone: (023) 9244 6226 or 6225 Email: elections.office@havant.gov.uk