To help promote better nutrition and increase healthier food choices for consumers, the council is taking part in the Eat Out Eat Well award scheme. Catering establishments, including restaurants, cafes, public houses, staff canteens that make it easier for their customers to make healthy choices when eating out will be eligible for an award. The award symbol is an apple logo in the shape of a heart.
There are three levels – Bronze, Silver and Gold and the level of award is based on a scoring system that takes into account the type of food on offer, cooking methods and how the meals are promoted to customers. The higher the score the higher the level of award. The scheme benefits both caterers by promoting their businesses and consumers by helping them make healthier choices when eating out. Awards will be displayed in the business premises and publicised on our website. The award is valid for two years. However, the award may be reviewed or revoked during this time if, for instance, there are significant changes to the menu or premises change hands.
Eat Out Eat Well award winners in Havant
Restaurants, Pubs & Cafes, Staff restaurants
|Name||Address||Date of Award||Award Level|
|Park Community School||Middle Park Way, Havant, PO9 4BU||October 2016||Gold Award|
|The Hub||39 Park Parade, PO9 5AA||April 2016||Silver Award|
|Bloomies||36 Park Parade, PO9 5AD||March 2016||Bronze Award|
|Aramark||2B Langstone Road, Langstone, PO9 1SA||March 2016||Silver Award|
|Fat Face||3 Ridgeway, Havant, PO9 1JS||February 2016||Bronze Award|
How the scheme benefit consumers
- Businesses will provide healthier options to customers, through the use of healthier catering practices, increasing fruit, vegetables, and starchy carbohydrates
- Decreased levels of fat, especially saturated fat, sugar and salt in food
- Provision of healthy options for children,
- You can visit the award winning restaurants, pubs and cafes and find healthier meal options on the menus for you and your family.
What's in it for businesses?
- You could make a huge contribution to improving your customers' diet and health by providing healthier food choices.
- You'll have public recognition for achieving the award and could enhance your image as a responsible business that puts its customers first. As well as an award certificate that you can proudly display in your premise, your establishment will be listed as an award winner on our website.
- It could give you a competitive edge and increase customer satisfaction as the demand for healthier choices continue to grow - many manufacturers and retailers who have introduced healthier options are seeing growth in sales.
How to apply
The free award scheme is open to all types of catering establishments. Premises will usually be considered for an award after a satisfactory food hygiene inspection. In addition, the premises may be assessed if requested by the owner. To achieve an award your business will be assessed against criteria that are based on the principles of a healthy balanced diet, such as keeping fat, sugar and salt to a minimum, making fruit and vegetables widely available. You will also be assessed on marketing and promotion of healthier options.
This award is in addition to the Food Hygiene Ratings Scheme, which includes the hygiene rating of all premises selling food in the borough. See more at www.food.gov.uk/ratings.
If you are interested in achieving the Eat Out Eat Well Award, please contact: Environmental Health Commercial Team – 023 9244 6654 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information & documents for the Eat Out Eat Well Scheme can be found at www.eatouteatwell.org (currently refers to Sussex as the Hampshire site is under development).