Backdated benefits claims

Under age 60

You can ask for your claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support to be backdated for up to 6 months from the date you make the request. It is important that when you consider requesting a backdate you have a good reason for not claiming earlier.

The request must be in writing stating the following:

  • The period you wish your claim to be backdated
  • Good reasons for failing to make a claim at the correct time – you may be asked to supply supporting evidence of this

The Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form has a question asking if you wish to have your claim backdated and space to provide the above information.

Over age 60

The rules governing the start dates on claims are such that in most cases a backdate request is not required. Please contact us for guidance if you think you need to have your claim backdated.